The government department for environment and youth health care in Cyprus launched a public service video last December which informed about the dangers of electromagnetic radiation (EMR). In this video, parents are advised to protect their children against the emissions from mobile telephones and wireless internet. It is stated that the World Health Organisation (WHO) classifies these radiation emissions as ‘possibly cancer-inducing’ and that recent investigations have indicated that EM radiation can have an effect on, for example: the brain, the development of foetus and child, and the ability to concentrate.
Because children are vulnerable, it is advised to be consciously aware of the presence and usage of EM radiation. A selection of tips are presented to reduce the risk of exposure to EMR, mainly at home and at school.
These tips are:
- Do not give any wireless communication apparatus to children under 14 years old.
- Keep the mobile telephone out of the bedroom.
- Do not carry a mobile telephone in a trouser pocket or near the chest area.
- Use the mobile telephone preferably hands-free or with a headset and hold it away from your body.
- Do not use a mobile telephone in the car.
- Use preferably a wired internet connection.
7. Turn the Wi-Fi off when not in use, for instance at night, especially if there are children in the house.